Choosing the best electric hot water heater is not a task that should be taken lightly.
After all, it isn't something you buy just because you want it. It's a product that falls under the "needs" category. Just imagine having to take a bath without hot water during the cold months.
There are many types of water heaters. If you want to know why you should opt for the best electric hot water heater and which one to get precisely, then make yourself a cup of coffee and discover all you can about this necessity.
Electric Hot Water Heater: What It Is and Why Should You Buy It
An electric hot water heater is pretty straightforward. As the name implies, it's a device that heats up water for you to use.
Unlike other heaters that use natural gas or solar power, this one uses electricity to warm up heating elements to deliver hot water to you.
The advantages of using the best electric hot water heater
Electric water heaters are more affordable than gas-powered ones and other similar types of heaters using different fuels.
You also won't need additional piping and ventilation systems when you use electric heaters. As a result, you spend less on installation.
Efficiency, in this case, is defined by how much electricity or fuel is needed to heat water. How do you measure your water heater's efficiency?
Simply look at the energy factor. The best electric hot water heater will have a higher EF. Generally, gas-powered heaters have EF numbers ranging from 0.5 to 0.7, while electric heaters have an EF of at least 0.9.
In the United States, it's safe to say that every home has access to electricity. As such, everybody can choose the best electric hot water heater and have no problems operating it.
That isn't the case with a gas water heater, where you'll need a natural gas line or access to a propane supply line. If you don't, you'll have to pay for costly upgrades to use your gas water heater.
The downsides of using an electric water heater
Even the best electric hot water heater has limitations. First, it takes longer for an electric heater to heat up water than a gas-powered one.
You also cannot use your electric heater if the power goes out or during a blackout.
However, the biggest downside to having an electric water heater is that you will be spending more in the long run. Electricity is much more expensive than natural gas in most areas.
Types of Electric Hot Water Heaters You Can Buy
Regardless of the fuel used, there are four main types of water heaters.
Tank-type water heaters have a storage tank that can hold hot water until you need it.
These tanks can hold anywhere from 20 gallons to 80 gallons of water, depending on the size. Getting this type of heater is a good option if you need hot water throughout the day.
However, if there are many people in the house and many appliances using hot water at the same time, a tank-type heater is not a good idea.
Also, to ensure that hot water is always available, these heaters will use up electricity or gas to maintain higher temperatures.
Tank-less water heaters
If you don't have enough space to accommodate a big tank, you can still get hot water for the whole house using tank-less water heaters. These heaters are mounted on walls.
With these tankless heaters, you can get hot water on demand. Because you're not storing water, the appliance will only use gas or electricity when you open the hot-water tap.
It works the same way as a tank-type heater, but it sends hot water straight to the faucet or appliance that needs it, instead of into the storage tank.
Tank-less water heaters also last longer than tank-type ones. However, it does cost a lot more to go tank-less.
Hybrid water heater
If you don't like the idea of having to use electricity just to keep an entire tank full of water hot, you can choose a hybrid water heater. It uses an electric heat pump that consumes around 60 percent less electricity than traditional tank-types.
When you need hot water, this heater will capture heat from the room and then use that to heat cold water.
It may save you from using too much electricity, but you have to pay more for this type of heater. Sometimes, it costs twice the price you pay for a traditional tank-type.
These water heaters are tank-less and provide hot water to a specific appliance or location. You can often find point-of-use heaters in your shower or sink.
These water heaters heat water instantaneously and on-demand so you don't have to wait. It also doesn't waste electricity.
They are small, usually measuring around a foot in width and height. They can easily fit inside cabinets, closets, or near your shower.
Best Electric Hot Water Heater: How We Chose Our Recommendations
To come up with this list of recommendations for the best electric hot water heater, we considered suggestions from notable blogs and websites such as The Spruce, Water Heater Hub, and TopTenReviews.
Weeding out the gas heaters, we came up with a shortlist of recommended products. We then checked these water heaters on Amazon to make sure that they are readily available.
We also checked the reviews of verified Amazon customers, and then included only the highly rated products.
The Best Electric Hot Water Heater: Our Recommendations
Looking for the best electric hot water heater is not easy because of the world of options you have out there. However, you can start looking for the perfect water heater from our list of recommendations.
So, what is the best electric hot water heater you can buy right now? Here are your options.
- Saving Energy & Money- Built in insulation foam, reduces heat loss. 4-gallon point-of-use mini-tank fits under your sink to provide hot water right where you need it.
- High Quality Built & Elegant Design- Camplux electric water heater has glass-lined tank for long service life and easy to maintain. Elegant streamline design cover, made your kitchen more pretty.
- UL Approval Safety - Thermostat Control allows adjustment of water temperature. High Limit device provide protection while overheating.
- 43.3‘’ cord plugs into 120 volt outlet for independent installation or in-line with a large hot water source.(Max. water pressure is 150 PSI, CSA listed Temperature & Pressure relief valve included)
- Can be shelf, wall or floor mounted; Simply tap into the cold water line and install the water heater directly at the sink to provide hot water. Product dimension:11.75" W x 22" H x 10.38" D.
This point-of-use water heater has a four-gallon tank. Measuring only 22 inches by 11.75 inches by 10.38 inches, it can fit under your sink.
Plus, it's not just for your sink; you can use it in the garage, the attic, or even on a boat or an RV. This product comes in two other sizes: a smaller 2.5-gallon tank and a 4-gallon tank for those who need more hot water.
This heater heats water rather quickly, so you get to save time and cut heating losses, too. Furthermore, the tank is lined with glass, which insulates it and makes it more durable.
What's more, you don't have to spend a lot of money on installation. You connect it to the water line and install it under your sink or water cabinet.
This heater is also noted for its fast recovery rate at 6.8 gallons per hour at 90 degrees Fahrenheit (F).
Rating and reviews
People love this heater as it gives them access to hot water when they need it, without having to wait. Some people use this product in their RVs, while others use it at home, proving its versatility.
Some praise the product's affordability. Others report that it is even more efficient at delivering hot water than their previous heaters with larger tanks.
However, some reviewers report that the water comes out brownish because of the anode rod used by the heater. Others complain that the company doesn't provide much help and doesn't honor the product's warranty in case you encounter problems.
- 【INSTANT & SUFFICIENT HOT WATER】Applied with 5.5KW heating system, the electric water heater supplies instant, consistent and endless hot water of 116℉or higher temp shortly, no waiting for preheat nor terrible temp up & down, perfect companion for sinks. Time to get rid of those "lukewarm" toys.
- 【SMART SELF ADJUSTMENT】The hot water heater adjusts power input based on flow rate and temp setting in real time. For example, less power will be applied by the system when waterflow reduced, thus you still get ideal temperature instead of scalding hot water, which means comfortable experience. Optimal energy efficiency of 98% saves considerable electric charge.
- 【CONVENIENT USE】The tankless water heater comes with digital display & touch control panel so temp setting is easy job. Now turn on the tap and let the smart unit do the rest, you needn’t go through hard lesson about temp setting by a mixer tap without any hint. The Black model comes with Remote control, useful for installation under sink.
- 【SAFE and DURABLE】Applied with multiple protection devices, every piece goes through strict tests to ensure 100% safe. Inner water and electricity lines are designed to run separately so as to avoid leakage or harm of scale build up. Approval by ETL and qualifies for UL, you can expect outstanding performance for years to come.
- 【POINT of USE】The sleek tankless water heater is compact as an oatmeal box, making it possible to install anywhere close to outlet and avoid energy waste. It can be mounted horizontally, vertically, obliquely, ideal for kitchen, bar, school, hospital, community and hair salon. Please verify it is the right size for you: [email protected]; dimensions 11" x 7.5" x 2.35"; pipes fittings :1/2" NPT.
The ECOTOUCH Electric Tankless Water Heater is a point-of-use product that uses 5.5 kilowatts of heating to supply you with hot water. What's more, you get a steady stream of hot water without the long wait.
This heater will adjust the temperature applied depending on the flow. If you turn up the water flow, it will automatically turn up the heat. With this mechanism, you always get the perfect temperature without wasting too much electricity.
The manufacturer claims that you can save up to 98 percent of electricity with this product.
This tank-less water heater has an elegant look and features a digital display. The display also has a touch-capable control panel that lets you adjust the temperature.
You can place this heater anywhere. It measures 11 inches by 7.5 inches by 2.4 inches.
Rating and reviews
Verified users remarked that the device has excellent temperature control. The touch panel is also very responsive.
Most reviewers agree that it works as advertised. It consistently brings you water at the right temperature.
However, some complaints mention how this heater cannot handle flow rates of more than 2.5 gallons per minute. At this level, you cannot get the water hot enough for your needs.
Also, others say that this heater doesn't get the water hot enough at all. Some also complain that their unit broke down after only a few months of use.
- ➤ 2.6 GALLON CAPACITY - 2.6 gallon point-of-use mini-tank fits under your sink to provide hot water right where you need it. Stainless steel tank and heating element designed for efficiency, durability and long life service (Relief Valve has been upgraded)
- ➤ Save Energy - Low stand-by loss power consumption. With Advanced Thermostop Technology of Germany, stop heating or reheating automatically when the water heater reaches a high or low set temperature
- ➤ EPS FOAMING TECHNOLOGY - Heating water quickly and better insulation, fast recovery rate eliminates long waits for hot water at your sink
- ➤ SAFE & RELIABLE - over-heat protection, auto cut-off electricity if not hot water come out, IPX24 water proof, 2.6ft plug in cord, suit for kitchen, bathroom, bar, school, hospital, office and RV.
- ➤ NOTES - Please verify that this model is the right size for your hot water needs and electrical requirements before purchase & installation. Dimensions: 18H x 12.2W x 11D inches; Weight: 14 lbs; Water connections: 1/2 inch NPT, Electrical requirements: 1.5 kW, 120 Volts. Max pressure: 150PSI. Nominal current: 13A.
The Thermoflow UT10 is a tank-type water heater you can put under the sink. Its tank can hold 2.6 gallons of water.
This point-of-use heater has a Thermostop function that reduces the stand-by loss. It means that the heater will automatically start or stop heating, depending on the water temperature.
The UT10 measures 18 inches by 12.2 inches by 11 inches.
Rating and reviews
People love how quickly this product heats water, thanks to its EPS foaming technology for fast recovery rates. They also say it's safe and spill-proof.
However, some people complain that some parts are low-quality. Further, shoddy materials have caused problems like leaky pipes and flooding.
Others complain that their heater stopped working only after a few months of use.
- Tank less water heaters provide a continuous Supply of hot water and only heats the water you need, when you need it
- Instant, consistent and endless hot water
- The most advanced, self-modulating technology available, meaning the unit will adjust how much energy needs to be input based on how much hot water is needed
- Compact size saves valuable storage space
- Before purchase and installation, Please verify that this EEM24027 is the correct size for your hot water needs
The Eemax EEM24027 is a tankless electric water heater that can deliver hot water when you need it. You get water at the right temperature in an instant.
This water heater has a self-modulating technology that adjusts the temperature to heat your water just right.
Rating and reviews
It does not have that many reviews, but all of the ratings left were 4.0 stars or higher.
People like the compact size of this tankless heater, making it easy to find the perfect spot for it. Others also love the easy installation.
- INSTANT HOT WATER DISPENSER: This instant hot water system features a chrome side faucet & a 2/3 gallon stainless steel tank with easy-to-adjust temperature control that delivers instant, near-boiling water.
- ORIGINAL DESIGN & EASY TO INSTALL: Our original dispenser style not only features a twist top handle for effortless use, it is easy to install with a single hole in your counter top and electricity under your sink.
- HOT WATER ON DEMAND: Whether you're cooking, cleaning or preparing hot beverages, instant hot water dispensers sit on the edge of your kitchen sink ready to dispense near-boiling water when you need it. Save time, space & energy in the kitchen.
- FASTER, CLEANER, SMARTER: From meal prep to cleanup, InSinkErator helps make it fast & easy to keep your kitchen clean with our iconic appliances: garbage disposals & instant hot water dispensers.
- A HISTORY OF INNOVATION FOR THE SINK: We invented garbage disposals in 1927, & we're the world’s largest manufacturer of garbage disposals & instant hot water dispensers for home & commercial use.
The InSinkErator H-Contour-SS Instant Hot Water Dispenser uses 750 watts of electricity to give you hot water in an instant. It comes with a 0.66-gallon tank that is large enough to provide you with up to 60 cups in an hour.
The manufacturer markets this product for making steaming cups of coffee, but you can also use it for food preparation and for clean-up.
It's perfect for those who use hot water in cooking or making warm beverages.
Rating and reviews
People like how convenient it is to make delicious warm beverages or to prepare hot cereals with this product. Others also say they love the design.
However, some reviewers warn interested buyers about leaking issues.
- The 220V ECO 11kW unit is ideal for 1 simultaneous points of use in US Southern Regions where the incoming water temperature is above 70°F. In colder regions, it is suitable for a sink at 1. 3 GPM.
- German-designed with high quality stainless steel water channel and heating chamber.
- SMART Technology: Easy management and simple adjustments on a LCD Panel allows you to program the exact desired water temperature thereby optimizing electricity consumption.
- Requires (1) 60 Amp breaker and must be installed by a professional plumber or electrician to ensure safety and quality.
- Marey’s ECO line can maintain 98% efficiency level throughout their lifetime.
The Marey ECO110 Self-Modulating Water Heater can deliver hot water to two points of use. It has a stainless steel heating chamber and a water channel that makes it look elegant.
This water heater also has an LCD that allows you to set the desired water temperature quickly. According to the manufacturer, it has a 98-percent efficiency rating.
You can get hot water on demand without doing anything. Just open the faucet.
Rating and reviews
There are mixed reviews as to whether this device works as advertised. Some say that this electric heater is precisely what they need. But there are also those who say it doesn't work as it should.
Some verified reviewers also like how easy it is to install this product. Some even say that it makes sure you will never get scalded by hot water.
Others, however, complain that if there are problems with the product, you can only contract the company's own technicians to repair it for you.
Some also note that the company's customer service is terrible.
Get the Best Electric Hot Water Heater Today
The last thing you'd want on a cold morning is to shower with freezing water. You can avoid this by getting the best electric hot water heater available in the market.
The good news is that you have several options and they can provide you with the hot water you need.
Have you decided which one of these recommendations for the best electric hot water heater to buy? Tell us about it in the comments.
Featured Image: Flickr