If you don’t have a water filtration system in your recreational vehicle (RV), you’re risking more than just your health.
It’s a well-known fact that the campground water you use in your RV, whether from the city or well, is filled with impurities and sediments.Failing to pass your water through a filtration system can easily make you sick and spend a lot of cash getting your good health back.
Even worse, letting unfiltered water flow through your RV water systems- including faucets, toilets, water heater, water pump, etc. - can seriously damage them and make you spend a huge sum of money to repair and replace them.
That being said, I’ve prepared the guide below to teach you how to find the best RV water filter for your RV.
We’ll also discuss the 10 most popular RV water filters used by RVers all over.
Let’s dive into the details right away.
What’s an RV Water Filter?
A water filter for RV refers to a water filtration system that you install in your recreational vehicle to purify water.
Most RV owners will agree with me that they either use well water or the chlorinated city water in their RVs. The city water has always been associated with unpleasant smell and taste which the filtration system removes to make the water suitable for drinking and cooking.
The system also does a great job of filtering out the minerals such as magnesium, calcium, and potassium and other sediments found in well water. If not removed, these minerals can not only affect your skin health but also damages your RV water systems.
With the evolution of water filtration technology, you’ll find various types of water filtration systems on the market today—with different working mechanisms, features, etc.
The best RV water filter should be directly dependent on your specific water needs (I’ll show you how to pick the right unit for you later in this post).
In our next section, we’ll take a closer look at the top-rated water filters enjoying wild usage among all the RVers.
10 Best RV Water Filter Reviews:
1. CamcoTastePURE Water Filter with Flexible Hose Protector
- Safe water matters: GAC (Granular Activated Carbon) filtration greatly reduces bad taste, odor, chlorine, and sediment
- Large capacity filtration: Large capacity in line water filter lasts an average of 3 months
- Multiple uses: Can be attached to any standard gardening or water hose to provide healthier drinking water and cleaner water overall. Great for RVs, boats, campers, pets, gardening, and much more
- 20 micron sediment filter: Removes particles greater than 20 microns
- Protects against bacteria: Premium KDF provides protection against bacteria growth while filter is stored or not in use
If you wish to filter water in your entire RV, then you should use an RV inline water filter. And the CamcoTastePURE Water Filter is one of the most popular inline models you can find on the market today.
Designed by the trusted, USA-based Camco Company, this water filter presents you with an extra-large water capacity that enables it to last the entire camping season. It comes equipped with a 20-micron sediment filter that excellently removes all the bad odors, tastes, chlorine, sediments, and other impurities present in your RV water.
In addition to that, it features a KDF that helps prevent the growth of bacteria, fungus, and mold when the filter isn’t in use.
The durable water filter also features a wider body design aimed at increasing the overall flow rate—making it even more suitable for use to filter water for the whole RV.
For the installation part, this unit has an easy grippe body which ensures effortless (easy and quick) installation. Moreover, no assembly is needed for the system, making it even faster to install.
2. Camco EVO Premium RV/Marine Water Filter
- Reduces Water Contaminates: 5-micron barrier and granulated active carbon reduces bad taste, odors, sediments, bacteria, chlorine and much more; the result is fresh, clean, great-tasting water every time
- Filter Includes: Filter housing, one extension hose and one replaceable premium spun polypropylene filter cartridge
- Compatibility: Filter attaches to any standard water or garden hose connection
- Filter Lifespan: Filter lasts one camping season. Replaceable Filter: Can be replaced when no longer effective
- Complies with Low Lead Laws: CSA low lead content certified and complies with California's AB1953 and Vermont Act 193 Low Lead Laws
Also a product of Camco, this EVO Premium RV/Marine Water Filter comes fully dedicated to improving your RV water by reducing bad taste, odors, chlorine, sediment, bacteria, and much more.
The filtration process begins when water travels through the porous shell with openings with a diameter of not more than 5 microns. The filtered water then oases through the granulated active carbon and KD bed where it undergoes further filtration and bacteria, fungus and mold control.
The end result is 100% clean, fresh, and great tasting drinking water flowing out of your tap!
Similar to the previous Camco, this unit is designed to externally connect to the fresh water hose connection of your RV. Its premium filter cartridge will also last an entire camping season.
Above all this, it boasts of CSA low lead content certification. It also complies with Vermont Act 193 and California’s AB1953 Low Lead Laws.
3. Clearsource Premium RV Water Filter System
- NEW! INDUSTRY-LEADING 0.2 MICRON PROTECTION. Our two-stage filter now features 0.2-micron protection – better than all other in-line, single or dual canister RV water filter system on the market.
- CLEANER, SAFER WATER THAN OTHER SYSTEMS. Tighter filter pores trap more contaminants. We lead the industry in the size and quality of our filters. Our 5-micron first stage coconut shell carbon block improves taste and removes or reduces sediment, chlorine, VOCs, and other contaminants. Our hospital-grade, absolute-rated 0.2-micron filter removes or reduces bacteria like Legionella and E. Coli, and cysts like Giardia. Compare filter sizes and ratings – nothing beats a Clearsource.
- BULLET-PROOF CONSTRUCTION. We engineered our original Clearsource system from the ground up just for the RVer. We invented its powder-coated standalone chassis – an idea that changed the industry. We use oversize canisters for maximum water flow. And we use only stainless steel fittings for durable, sanitary plumbing.
- CLEARSOURCE QUALITY. Nothing beats a Clearsource. See us in TrailerLife Magazine's 2018 "Essential Equipment For RV Camping" Gear Guide, and in the January, 2019 edition of MotorHome Magazine ("Impressive." "Makes RV water filtering an art form.")
- ALSO SEE OUR NEWLY UPGRADED THREE CANISTER ULTRA SYSTEM! We’ve upgraded our top-of-the-line Ultra system, now with industry-exclusive protection against viruses. Search for "ASIN B07SX5RPG6".
If you’re looking for the most reliable water filter for RV, you can’t go wrong with this Clearsource Premium RV Water Filter System. Mind you; this unit got featured in the "Essential Equipment For RV Camping" Gear Guide of the 2018 TrailerLife Magazine.
If you install this system in your recreational vehicle today, I can guarantee that you’ll enjoy pristine water in minutes, and for the entire camping period. It boasts of a dual water filter design—with a 1st stage 5 micron carbon block element and second stage .05 micron carbon block element.
This dual filtration systems gangs up to protect you from sediment, bacteria, chlorine, lead, mercury, giardia, pesticide, and all the other harmful compounds present in water.
Because it comes with oversized filtration canisters, you can rest assured of maximum water flow (with consistent pressure) in your RV at all times, even if you’re using multiple fixtures.
Clearsource has used quality materials ONLY in the construction of this system. It comes with stainless steel connections that easily fit the standard RV water hose and can last for years under all forms of abuse. The housing and filter elements are also made of highest-quality materials for maximum longevity.
4. Culligan 1019084 Exterior RV Drinking Water Filter
- Provide your family with visibly clean, great-tasting water for drinking, cooking, and more
- FEATURES: Reduces bad taste/odor, aesthetic chlorine taste/odor, and sediment; non-cellulose; 5-year limited warranty; Slim and sturdy design with a durable plastic housing; 3/4-inch flexible hose couplings
- COMPATIBILITY: The Culligan RVF-10 filtration system works with the Culligan D-15 filter cartridge
- FILTER LIFE: Up to 3 months or 250 gallons, depending on usage and water conditions
- INCLUDES: Culligan RVF-10 Level 1 Recreational Vehicle External Water Filter; Culligan D-15 filter cartridge; Hose connection kit with 1 foot of connector hose
If you don’t have a lot of money to spend on a functional camper water filter system, don’t worry. This Culligan 1019084 Exterior RV Drinking Water Filter has a pocket-friendly price tag on top of remarkable features geared toward improving the quality of water in your RV.
Due to its incredibly sturdy design, this unit is suitable for external filtration of your RV water.
It employs granular activated carbon filter to eliminate harmful compounds and elements from your RV water—making it fresher, better-tasting, and suitable for human consumption. A single cartage has a lifespan of 3 months (or 250 gallons of water), making it the right unit to see you through a complete camping season.
The maximum water flow in this unit is a gallon per minute. Though this might sound slightly slower than in other units, it’s within the acceptable standards for RV water flow rate.
The sleek and slim design of this Culligan water filter for camper, together with the convenient hose fitting kit, makes the unit incredibly easy to install, use and even store. The 1 ft. connector hose also quickly hooks to your RV and doesn’t need any tools to put it up, making the whole installation process easier.
Culligan offers you a 5-year limited manufacturer warranty. This should make you buy the unit with confidence, knowing that you can always reach out to the manufacturer in case of anything.
5. Fette Filter 2-Pack - RV & Marine Inline Water Filter with Flexible Hose Protector
Looking for the perfect RV inline water filter at an affordable cost? If yes, the Fette Filter 2-Pack - RV & Marine Inline Water Filter should be one of your top options.
What’s quite amazing with this particular RV water filter is that it features 2 marine inline water filters plus a flexible hose protector, something you can’t easily find at such a price.
The unit features a wider body design which translates to increased capacity and flow rate for water you use in your RV. It comes with activated carbon which excellently filters out all the impurities in water to ensure you enjoy a constant flow of safe drinking water. Not only that, but it also features a sediment filter that eliminates the bad odors, taste, chlorine, and sediment to ensure your campsite water is 100% safe for drinking.
Like the Camco RV water filter models we reviewed earlier, this marine inline water filter also features KDF which inhibits the growth of fungus, bacteria and mold inside the filter when not in use.
The filter has a life of approximately 3 months, equating to one camping season. Keep in mind that the filter life will also be dependent on water quality, so you’d want to keep monitoring it before the 3 specified period is over.
6. Camco 40645 TastePURE RV & Marine Water Filter
- Safe Water Matters: Improves taste and smell of drinking water by reducing bad taste, odor, chlorine and sediment in your water
- Filter Rating: Filters to 20 microns
- Lifespan: Lasts up to 120 days
- RV and Marine Approved: This product can be used in a variety of applications, including: RV camping, boating and home brewing
- Easy to Use: The filter attaches to any standard water or garden hose connection
Here comes another Camco RV water filter. Like the other Camco units and any other unit we’ve featured on this list, this filtration system will also improve the taste and smell of your drinking water. The fact that it can connect to any exterior water connection makes a great choice for many campers.
This unit features a 150-micron fiber barrier that significantly reduces the bad odors, tastes, chlorine, sediments, and other impurities present in your water. It also features a built-in Granulated Activated Carbon that further purifies your water to make it safe for drinking.
The wider body design of this filter goes a long way in enhancing the capacity and overall flow rate.
The installation process for this filter system is easy and fast as no assembly is required. The CSA low lead content certification acts as an assurance of its ability to filter out harmful elements in your RV water to make it safe for drinking.
7. Culligan RV-EZ-3 EZ-Change RV Drinking Water Filtration System
- Reduces: bad taste and odor, atrazine, chlorine, cysts, lead, lindane, sediment, turbidity and nominal particulate class I
- Features twist-on and twist-off mechanism, quick-connect fittings double water shut-off
- NSF certified
- 6-Month 500-Gallon capacity
- Includes a winterization kit with a RVEZ-BYP bypass for winterization
Culligan RV-EZ-3 EZ-Change RV Drinking Water Filtration System ensures that your family enjoys fresh, clean water while you’re on the road. It actively filters your RV water to get rid of bad odor and taste as well hazardous particles—like cysts, lead, turbidity, among others.
The highly functional filter features a Twist-on, twist-off filter mechanism. This enables you to replace the filters easily and quickly, with no mess or use of any tools as it’s the case with other models. In addition to that, it also comes with quick connect fittings that make the overall installation task a breeze.
Unlike most of the units out there, this unit also comes with a winterization kit which enables you to use your filer system without worrying about freezing temperatures.
NOTE that this filtration system has undergone testing and certification by NSF International to confirm its effectiveness in reducing chlorine odor and taste, particulates, atrazine, lindane, lead, cysts, and turbidity.
8. Watts POE12DSA1KDF Dual Exterior Water Filter Kit
Our third last spot goes to the Watts POE12DSA1KDF Dual Exterior Water Filter Kit. This product also got a place on this list due to its remarkable and efficient job of filtering water in your RV, making it cleaner and healthy for your family consumption.
The unit utilizes a sediment filter which filters out all the contaminants and particulates found on your water. It also features a multi-ply filter media which significantly increases the filter holding capacity and flow rate.
Moreover, it comes with GAC/KDF filter, which does an excellent job of removing most of the organic contaminants in the water before it reaches the activated carbon bed. This ensures high-level prevention of bacteria building as well as fouling in the water.
Inside the box, you’ll get the water filtration unit, hose fittings (for easy installation), cartridge, bracket, and a wrench.
9. WaterSentinel 102555 WSRV-8 Inline RV Water Filter with Hose Bib Connection
- Fabric Type: made from coconut shell Carbon
- Import designation: made in US
- Reduces potentially harmful contaminants
- Improves taste and removes odors
- Lasts for one year
WaterSentinel 102555 WSRV-8 Inline RV Water Filter is another great RV inline water filter that I found for the folks facing hard economic times but want to enjoy quality water in their RVs.
Despite the low cost, this unit utilizes an advanced water filtration technology to give you get crisp, clean and 100% safe drinking water in your RV.
In the first filtration stage, water is passed through water-washed coconut shell carbon which effectively removes all the chemicals dissolved in water, including chlorine, ensuring your water has no unpleasant taste and smells.
The water is then passed to the second media where a KDF- a top-quality copper-zinc formulation—removes chlorine, hydrogen sulfide, iron, microorganisms, and other contaminants from your water supply.
It’s also important to note that the overall filtration process also helps reduce limescale formation, protecting your RV water system from potential damage.
Since the filter lasts for a whole year, it’ll see you through a full camping season of fresh and safe drinking water.
10. Hydro Life 52141 HL-200 External Filter Ki
- Exterior 7 kit with 5 series cartridge
- Finer mesh granular activated carbon filters out more contaminants than standard carbon filters
- KDF media prevents bacteria growth
- Provides safer, cleaner, better tasting water by filtering out contaminants that cause bad odor and taste
- Garden hose connectors allow you to easily replace cartridge without tools
The last top-rated water filtration for RV spot on our list goes to Hydro Life 52141 HL-200 External Filter Kit. This particular unit is not only suitable for RVs, but also for boats and trailers. This is because it features an exterior hook up for easy use with your RV.
This unit is designed to filter water before it enters your fresh tanks. It boasts of a patented KDF media that works closely with the granular activated carbon to ensure you only get the cleanest and purest water for drinking in your recreational vehicle. The fact that the activated mesh has a finer mesh enables it to effectively reduce all the contaminants in your water responsible for bad taste and smell.
It’s also worth noting that the filter kit has an extremely high flow rate of up to 2.5 GPM, qualifying it as one of the most powerful and dependable models you can get on the market today.
With the included garden hose connectors, you’ll not have any issues replacing the filter cartridges since you’ll not require any tools for the job.
Unlike most filters in its price range, this unit does not show any signs of leaks and is built using finer quality materials to extend its service life.
Entire Camping Season RV Water Filter - A Buying Guide
I wish I could tell you that getting the right RV water filter system for you is as simple as waking up one day, walking to a store and picking a unit that grabs your attention.
The process involved in buying a water filtration system for RV isn’t that easy.
Most people don’t seem to know this, and they end up choosing the wrong units that don’t work as they expected.
Below, I’ll outline for you some key features and aspects that will help you pick a unit that an will see you through the entire camping period:
Type of RV Water Filter
The number one thing you should look for when buying a water filter for your RV is the type of water filter.
There are different types of filter systems with different water filtration capabilities, designs, and features.
The right type for you should directly depend on your specific water filtration needs.
If you plan to filter water for the entire RV (which I advise you to do), then the best types of RV water filters for you include:
Ease of Installation
Make sure you chose a model that is extremely easy to install.
I urge you to look for a filter system that does not require any assembly and installs easily and quickly. Keeping in mind that you’ll need to replace it after around 3-4 months, you should also ensure the replacement process is equally easy and straightforward.
How suitable the filter system is for serving its intended purpose is another crucial factor you should keep in mind.
Of, course, you should ensure the product you buy actually filters out all the hazardous elements found in the campsite water. Ensure it can remove the bad taste and odor associated with chlorine in the water.
A good way to ensure that you’re buying a functional product is looking at NFS International certification.
Looking at what the previous users of a unit have to say about it will also help you ensure you’re buying a truly functional product that meets your needs and requirements.
Buying an RV water filter designed by a reputable brand is also a good way of ensuring you end up with a unit that meets all your water filtration needs.
Some of the companies that have made a name for themselves in the water filtration industry include Camco, Culligan, Aquasana, WaterSentinel, to name but a few.
An added benefit of buying from the top companies is that most of them back their products with a long enough warranty so that you can always contact them in case your product develops any functionality problems.
Finally, you should check how much the water filter you’re planning to buy will cost you.
As you have noted from the 10 units we’ve discussed above, the price fluctuates from model to model, depending on the manufacturer, filtration technology, features, and so on.
If you want to get a model with all the bells and whistles, you should be ready to cough out more money.
And if you’re on a tight budget, you should look for a basic model that does the intended job well.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. For how long will my RV water filter last?
Most of the filters at the market today last for around 3 to 12 month. The longevity of the filter usually depends on the product quality as well as the manufacturer.
With that it in mind, I don’t recommend you to wait until the recommended period is over to change your filter. In most cases, you should replace it in 3-6 months.
Also, you should keep checking the filtered water to see if the unit is doing its job or needs replacement.
2. How do I install an RV water filtration system?
Installing a water filter in your recreational vehicle (RV) is an easy task that you can carry out on your own, without necessarily hiring plumbers to do it.
Check the following video on how to install an RV water filtration system:
3. Can I use the unit to filter hot water?
NO. The manufacturers do not recommend running hot water through their units. From their point of view, the unit is only designed to filter cold water, and it might not adequately filter hot water.
Besides, hot can easily reverse the process of chemicals absorption, causing contaminants to be released back to your water.
In case you accidentally run hot water through your RV water filter, you can simply run cold water through it for around 1-2 minutes to help flush out the hot water.
If you own and regularly use a recreational vehicle, then you should consider installing the best RV water filter into it.
The unit will remove harmful contaminants in water to make it clean and safe for drinking for your family or the RV occupants. Filtering water used in your RV will also help protect the water systems from getting damaged beyond repair.
In the above post, I’ve taken you through the 10 most popular water filters used by other RVers across the states. All these models have great functionality and are quite reliable when it comes to filtering RV water.
What’s more, they come with affordable price tags, so getting one for your RV will not cost you an arm and a leg.