The water pump plays a very significant role especially when it comes to the car’s engine. If you want to purchase a water pump for your car or if the water pump in your car is in a bad condition and you want to know the price of purchasing a new water pump, you are in the very right place.
The section below will help you understand the purpose of the water pump as well as the causes of pump failure. If you want to know the money you will have to spend to purchase a new water pump and want some tips to take care of your water pump then keep reading the post so to know everything about the water pump.
What is the purpose of a water pump?
You might want to know the purpose of a water pump in a car but before explaining to you the purpose, we would like to explain- What the water pump is? A water pump is a machine that is used for moving the water.
They can be used in many forms in agriculture and are also used in a car. The purpose of a water pump in a car is quite simple. Coming to the purpose of a water pump in a car, the water pump plays a very significant role in the car engine and for your car to run. Here is some key purpose of water pump in your car:
- The water pump ensures that your car’s motor is at a constant temperature. It helps to retain the temperature so that it isn’t too cold or too hot.
- The water pump also helps to take the water from the radiator and then move it via motor back towards the radiator and this cycle goes on and on.
- The water pump acts as the heart of your engine. It pumps as much liquid as needed through your engine so to help the engine to run reliably and efficiently.
As you could see the water pump plays a very significant role and is considered as the heart of the car’s engine since it plays such a significant role it is also important to understand the whole process of how a water pump works and other tips to take care of your water park we keep reading the section to know all these details in a comprehendible manner.
What are the causes of water pump failure?
As the purpose of the water pump in your car is clear to you, we can now proceed to understand the causes of water pump failure. If your water pump in your car is in a bad condition and you want to know the causes behind it then keep reading. A few of the causes have been mentioned below:
- Dry rotation
You need to remember the fact that if your water pump is dry and it rotates in that dry condition, it might damage the overall functioning of the engine. So, you have to make sure that your water pump is not dry so that you can avoid damage to your rings in the car which leads to premature damage, noise, and coolant leakage. Make sure that the water pump does not make any dry rotation.
- Improper use
The next point in the list is the improper use of the sealant or gaskets. This could cause your water pump to get improperly seated. In the worst-case scenario could damage some very sensitive components like the seals which might lead to leakage in the coolant. To avoid this, you must make sure sealing paste is not applied when your pump has a seal or gasket.
- Wrong coolant
To make sure that your water pump does not fail, try to use the right coolant. It is very important to remember that non-compatible, contaminated, mixing coolant or others of various chemistries results in premature failure of the water pump. So, try to use a coolant with the correct manufacturers and the recommended coolants for your car, otherwise, it might damage the whole functioning of a water pump.
- Defective components of belt drive
The next reason behind your water pump failure is improperly installed or defective component of belt drive. This could be avoided by changing this belt drive and at the same time the water pump as well. This would help you to avoid the risk of failure of the water pump. Make sure that you follow the instructions of fitting and the tensioning procedure properly.
The premature feeling of a water pump has become very normal. It is thus very important that you take care of your water pump properly so that you could avoid the same.
How much is a Water Pump for a Car?
The water pumps usually are available at a reasonable cost but it requires you to make proper bargaining. The dealers generally charge more than the mechanics for the replacement of the water pump.
- A good mechanic usually provides you a discounted price. If you do not have a fixed mechanic for your car then you can ask around your family or friends to get a discounted price for the water pump.
- The price of the water pump also depends upon the model of your car. If you have a high-end model, then the water pump might also cause you high.
- At a general level, the average cost of purchasing a water pump might be somewhere between 150 dollars as the lowest amount to 800 dollars as the highest including the labour charges. It is suggested not to pay more than $800 despite any model that your car is of.
- The next thing which you will have to keep in mind while getting a water pump replaced is to talk to your mechanic before the start of the process to know beforehand about the estimated cost.
- Another way to lower down the expenses is to purchase the water pump of your car separately. The water pump might cost you somewhere around $40. This will however save your labour cost and thus you will be able to save your money.
The cost of purchasing a water pump is generally very low as compared to the labour cost. Thus by purchasing the water pump separately, you will be able to save a lot and you can then replace the water pump by yourself or ask some known mechanic to do it for you at a lesser cost.
Now that you have understood how much you might have to spend to purchase a water pump. We can move forward to understand the ways to take care of your water pump so to prevent premature water pump failure.
Tips to take care of your water pump
If your water pump failed and you are replacing this with the new water pump, we would like to give you a small tip of advice so that you can take care of your water pump all by yourself and prevent the water pump failure anytime soon. A few of the tips take care of the water pump have been mentioned below:
- It is important to flush out your cooling system. Most people do not flush their cooling systems. Thus, they unconsciously make mistakes that cost them very high.
- The next thing to keep in mind is to take care of your water pump so to avoid impurities contaminating the new pump as the impurities might cause premature failure of your water pump.
- Make sure that you rotate your water pump manually so that the water pump rotates freely.
- The next point that will help you to take care of your water pump is to vent out your coolant properly. It is important especially when you replace your water pump to properly vent out your cooling system.
- The last point that you should follow is to change the coolant after every five years to maintain the good condition of your water pump.
The water pump is very important and plays an equally important role in the car’s engine. It is thus said to take care of your water pump in the best possible way to avoid the premature failure of your water pump and to retain a good condition of your water pump. Try to follow all the above-mentioned points to maintain a good condition and avoid water pump failure.
The importance of a water pump in a car’s engine cannot be denied. The water pump does not just pump out the water but also maintains the temperature in the car’s engine despite any weather conditions. It is thus of utmost importance to take care of your water pump. If you want your car to run smoothly without any issues then do always remember to follow the points mentioned in the above section so that you do not face the problem of pump failure anytime soon.