When it comes to bathroom décor, clawfoot tubs have increasingly popular over the past few decades. They are a great option for someone who wants to upgrade their bathroom or enjoy a relaxing soak after a long day at work. Therefore, it is important to get the best clawfoot tub you can find.
Clawfoot tubs are particularly popular in homes built in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. But whether placed in a historically accurate home or not, clawfoot tubs bring up nostalgic feelings of the past.
With so many clawfoot tub manufacturers and models available, making the right choice can prove an overwhelming task. This post breaks down important factors to consider during your search. We’ll also review the best clawfoot tubs on the market today.
What is it Actually?
Originally considered a luxury item in the 19th century, a clawfoot tub is a large container for holding water that is supported by claw foot pedestals. It is generally larger than a standard bathtub and as such, holds more water.
Clawfoot tubs were originally made from cast iron and coated with porcelain. Modern technology has paved the way for clawfoot tubs made from acrylic, wood, fiberglass and other materials. These are cheaper compared to models made from cast iron.
Clawfoot tubs offer a variety of benefits when installed in a bathroom including:
- They are attractive: Clawfoot tubs lend a classic traditional look. The striking claw feet remain as beautiful as ever, even after two centuries and change of materials used for construction.
- They are comfortable: Anyone who likes soaking in a tube after a long will appreciate the high level of comfort offered by clawfoot tubs. They are contoured and deeper, thus allowing your body to recline comfortably. The materials used to make them hold heat well, and the water takes a long to become cold.
- They are easy to install: Unlike regular bathtubs, installing a clawfoot tub doesn’t require one to tear down a wall or caulk edges. All you have to do is place the tub where you want in the bathroom and install the plumbing.
- They are durable: The internet is rife with stories of how people restore old homes and keep the clawfoot tub in perfect condition. This goes to show just how durable clawfoot tubs can be. Original clawfoot tubs made from cast iron can last for decades and so can models made from modern materials.
Our Best Clawfoot Tub Reviews:
1. Woodbridge Slipper Clawfoot Tub
- [ DIMENSIONS AND SPECIFICATIONS]: Exterior Dimension: 59" Long x 30" Wide x 30 1/4" Deep – Effective Tub Capacity: 55 Gallons
- [PREMIUM QUALITY CONSTRUCTION ]: Woodbridge bathtub is made out of 100% high gloss white LUCITE acrylic and reinforced with ASHLAND resin & fiberglass . All of these are top quality material which are rarely used by others due to a relatively high cost.
Topping our list is the Woodbridge Slipper Clawfoot Tub, which boasts a solid brass polished chrome finish. Available in multiple sizes, it is constructed to last a long time with 100% high gloss white Lucite acrylic. The tub is also reinforced with Ashland resin and fiberglass. This combination offers premium durability and is hardly ever used.
This clawfoot tub has a chic, luxurious, and comfortable style. It has an ample yet economical style that allows the tub to fit in most bathroom spaces. As the name suggest, it has a slipper design that conforms to the natural of the body. This means exceptional comfort for the user.
The bottom of this clawfoot tub features stainless steel bracket with a maximum capacity of 1000 lbs. Double walled reinforcement ensures heat retention and makes it possible for water to stay warm for longer. This tub comes with multiple accessories for easy installation including user manual, polished chrome feet,solid brass polished chrome drain and overflow, as well as white clawfoot tub.
- Overall dimensions: 59L x 30W x 30.25D inches
- Premium quality construction
- Double walled reinforcement
- Gently sloping lines for extreme comfort
- Maximum bearing capacity of 1000 lbs
- Backed by 5-year limited warranty
2. Maykke Gibson 67” Traditional Oval Acrylic Clawfoot Bathtub
- LUXURY ACRYLIC TUB FOR IMMERSING YOURSELF: Premium quality acrylic freestanding bathtub for strength and durability, keeps water hot and warm for longer for relaxing
- RECLINE INTO RELAXATION WITH A SLOPED BACK: Traditional and characteristic clawfoot slipper design with feet in polished chrome finish and leaning slipper end for lounging, perfect for an elegant or farmhouse look
Coming in at a close second is this luxurious clawfoot by Maykke designed to provide ultimate relaxation. It is a high quality freestanding bathtub made from acrylic for optimal durability and strength. If you love soaking in hot water, you’ll appreciate the fact that the Gibson 67” Traditional Oval Acrylic Clawfoot Tub keeps water warm for long periods of time.
You can easily recline into a relaxation thanks to the sloped back. The tub has a traditional slipper design that conforms to the natural shape of the body. It is supported by strong feet with a polished chrome finish. This combined with the slipper design makes this tub perfect for lounging and achieving a farmhouse look.
Both the exterior and interior have a smooth white finish for a grand look in the bathroom. Cleaning and maintaining the tub is incredibly easy. At 66 3/6 W x 29 ½ D x 30 ¾ H inches, the Maykke Gibson 67” is quite spacious. It has a water capacity of 39 gallons. You get multiple accessories with each purchase including flexible hose, installation guide, and overflow assembly with polished chrome trim.
- Premium quality freestanding acrylic bathtub
- Traditional and characteristic slipper design for reclining into relaxation
- Smooth white finish for the interior and exterior
- Tub supported by polished chrome feet
- Huge water capacity of 39 gallons
3. Sinkology TBT-6631CL Heisenberg Clawfoot Bathtub
- Don't settle for a boring white bath tub, choose a Sinkology tub and make a statement
- Expertly crafted and finished by hand to make it uniquely yours
Made from copper, the Sinkology TBT-6631CL Heisenberg Clawfoot Tub has a decidedly masculine feel but can still fit in a feminine setting. It is designed to make a statement and expertly crafted by hand to make it unique. The tub is made from the finest pure solid copper and supported by solid bronze feet.
Also notable is that the Sinkology TBT-6631CL Heisenberg Clawfoot Tub is very deep and accommodates tall users comfortably. It is a great choice for someone who wants to soak in opulent elegant. The slipper design is a welcome element that promotes comfort and relaxation.
Considering most clawfoot tubs in the market are white, having the option of a copper tub is a great choice if you want a different look in the bathroom. All Sinkology tubs are handmade and as such, you can be sure each piece is unique from the rest. Talk about standing out from the crowd.
- Make a statement with a handmade tub
- Made from the finest pure solid copper
- Tub supported by polished bronze legs
- Freestanding tub design transforms your bathroom to a spa
- Uncompromised quality and workmanship
4. Pelham & White Luxurious 67” Clawfoot Tub
- PACKAGE INCLUDES: White clawfoot tub, brushed nickel ball-and-claw feet , brushed nickel toe-tap drain and overflow, 5 YEAR limited warranty
- SPECIFICATIONS: 67" Length x 30.7" Width x 30" Height. 53 gallon capacity. Maximum water depth (to overflow): 11.8". (This tub also available with Polished Chrome feet and drain: PW82006-PC)
Pelham & White is a trusted brand when it comes to bathtubs. Their Luxurious 67” Clawfoot Tub was designed as part of the Brookdale Collection, and boasts a slipper tub design. It is supported by sturdy ball and claw feet made from brushed nickel. Also included is brushed nickel toe-tap drain and overflow.
The tub measures 67L x 30.7W x 30H, which means plenty of room for one to stretch and relax. With a capacity of 53 gallons, it holds more water than most clawfoot tubs. It is built to last a long time with acrylic. It is double reinforced with composite and lightweight fiberglass. The Enduraclean glossy surface is easy to clean and maintain, as well as scratch and stain resistant. The tub features a wide, deep structure and a comfortable backrest.
- Overall dimensions: 67L x 30.7W x 30H inches
- Holds 53 gallons of water
- Backed by 5-year limited warranty
- Built with reinforced acrylic
- Machined brass drain and brass feet
- Slipper bathtub design
5. Acrylic 61” Faux Copper Clawfoot Tub by The Tub Connection
- Beautfiul Faux Copper Bronze Exterior. White interior.
- Oil Rubbed Bronze Claw Feet
This clawfoot tub adds a touch of traditional elegance to the bathroom. It comes with a beautiful faux copper bronze exterior and white interior. The tub is supported by oil rubbed bronze claw feet and can hold hundreds of pounds in weight.
Its slipper design makes it perfect for lounging in the evening with a book and glass of wine. It conforms nicely to the natural body and allows you to recline comfortably. The tub has overall dimensions of 30 x 61 inches, hence a roomy interior for short and tall users alike.
It is built to last a long time with high quality acrylic. The tub can hold up to 46 gallons. All things considered, the Acrylic 61” Faux Copper Clawfoot Tub by The Tub Connection offers a perfect balance between affordability, comfort and style.
- Hand painted faux copper finish
- Imperial ball and claw feet
- Made from durable acrylic material
- Faux copper exterior and white interior
- Water capacity of 46 gallons
- Slipper tub design
6. 61” Cast Iron Slipper Clawfoot Freestanding Tub by The Tub Connection
- Slipper Design: 30" x 61"
- 14 inches to overflow
This is another incredible clawfoot tub by The Tub Connection. It is a slipper design tub that measures 30 x 61 inches, thus offering plenty of room for you to relax. There are fourteen inches to overflow.
The tub boasts a huge water capacity of 46 gallons, which is the average for products offered by The Tub Connection. It is supported by strong oil rubbed bronze feet. The tub is built using cast iron and finished with porcelain. It is easy to clean and maintain, long lasting and stain resistant.
This tub doesn’t have faucet holes, but can be purchase with all plumbing fixtures needed for complete installation. Two additional versions with brushed nickel feet and chrome feet are available.
- Slipper design for comfortable reclining and relaxation
- 14 inches to overflow
- Smooth, easy to clean porcelain interior
- Durable construction with cast iron
- Water capacity of 46 gallons
7. Pelham & White Luxury 54” Small Vintage Clawfoot Tub
- CLAWFOOT TUB PACKAGE INCLUDES: White clawfoot tub, brushed nickel ball and claw feet, brushed nickel toe-tap drain and overflow, 5 year limited warranty
- SPECIFICATIONS: 54.3"" Length x 29.5"" Width x 22"" Height. 45 gallon capacity. Maximum water depth (to overflow): 12.2". Small design to fit in the most compact bathroom designs. (This tub also available with Polished Chrome feet and drain: PW82012-PC)
Designed for the Highway Collection, the Pelham & White Luxury 54” Small Vintage Clawfoot Tub features brushed nickel ball and claw feet. Also included is a brushed nickel toe-tap drain and overflow. It measures 54.3L x 29.5W x 22H inches, hence plenty of room to relax. It has a maximum water capacity of 45 gallons and allows for a maximum water depth to overflow of 12.2 inches.
Its roomy but still compact enough to fit in most bathrooms. The tub is built using acrylic cast, an innovation that combines durable acrylic and hardened composite fiberglass reinforcement. It is easy to clean and maintain and on top of this it is scratch resistant. This is a wide and deep tub with a sloped backrest for optimal comfort.
Like other tubs in the Highway Collection, this model packs elegance and archetypical style in a modest footprint.
- Brushed nickel ball and claw feet
- Brushed nickel toe-tap drain and overflow
- Maximum capacity of 45 gallons
- Backed by 5-year warranty
- Scratch-resistant endurance and clean finish
- Durable acrylic construction w/hardened fiberglass reinforcement
8. Freestanding 55” Clawfoot Cast Iron Rolled Rim Tub by The Tub Connection
- Dimensions: 55.5" x 30"
- 13 inches to overflow
This freestanding cast iron clawfoot tub boasts a size of 55 inches, providing a roomy interior for one to relax. It features a rolled rim and 7” faucet hole drillings for easy installation. It has dimensions of 55.5 x 30 inches, and can hold up to 33 gallons of water.
The interior of the tub is finished with porcelain, an easy to clean and maintain finish. The tub is built with cast iron and supported by oil-rubbed bronze feet. You can also opt for chrome feet or brushed nickel feet. The tub allows for 12 inches to overflow.
All things considered, it offers the timeless elegance that only cast iron rolled rim tubs can bring into a smaller bathroom.
- Rolled rim tub made from cast iron and porcelain finish
- Water capacity of 33 gallons
- Version with wall or no holes available
- 13 inches to overflow
- Supported by oil rubbed bronze ball and claw feet
9. Pelham & White Luxury 54” Small Clawfoot Tub
- PACKAGE INCLUDES: White clawfoot tub, polished chrome ball and claw feet, polished chrome toe-tap drain and overflow, 5 year limited warranty
- SPECIFICATIONS: 54.3"" Length x 29.5"" Width x 22"" Height. 45 gallon capacity. Maximum water depth (to overflow): 12.2". Small design to fit in the most compact bathroom designs. (This tub also available with Brushed Nickel feet and drain: PW82013-BN)
The Pelham & White Luxury 54” Clawfoot Tub is designed for the Highview Collection and fits particularly well in a small bathroom. Every package purchased includes a white clawfoot tub, polished chrome feet, polished chrome drain and overflow as well as 5-year limited warranty.
This tub is durably constructed using acrylicast, a combination of high quality acrylic material and hardened composite fiberglass reinforcement. You can enjoy long, warm baths for many years to come.
The enduraclean finish maintains its high gloss for a long time. It is also easy to clean and maintain, as well as resistant to stains and scratches. Its elegance and archetypal design is packed into modest size that fits in smaller bathrooms.
- Polished chrome ball and claw feet
- Polished chrome toe-tap drain and overflow
- Maximum water capacity of 45 gallons
- Backed by 5-year warranty
- Small design to fit in compact bathrooms
- Durable acrylic construction reinforced with hardened fiberglass
10. Maykke Mona 71” Traditional Oval Acrylic Freestanding Clawfoot Tub
- PREMIUM QUALITY CONSTRUCTION: This 71 inch bath tub is built with extremely durable acrylic sleek, smooth interior and exterior finish
- TRADITIONAL, ELEGANT DESIGN: Soak in style in this refined and classic double slipper design tub, its dignified look and polished chrome claw feet an excellent fit for any home
Maykke is a trusted brand in the bathtub niche, and their Mona 71” Traditional Oval Acrylic Freestanding Clawfoot Tub is a perfect addition to any bathroom. It is built with durable acrylic and features a sleek finish. Its double slipper design and polished chrome feet lends a classic traditional elegance.
The tub allows for adjustable, stand-alone placement since it doesn’t require dead bolting or remodeling. It comes with adjustable levers for optimal stability on uneven floors. A polished chrome trim pop-up drain with a flexible hose and overflow are included. This allows for fast installation. The tub has a maximum capacity of 58 gallons and backed by a 1-year warranty.
- 71 inch clawfoot tub built from acrylic
- Double slipper design
- Polished chrome feet, drain and overflow
- Backed by a 1-year limited warranty
- Water capacity of 58 gallons
The Perfect Clawfoot Tub – Buying Guide
Whether you are building a new bathroom or renovating an old one, choosing a clawfoot tub is a delicate process. There are many factors to consider including styles, materials, etc.
Keep reading to learn more about choosing the perfect clawfoot tub for your home…
What type of clawfoot tub to buy?
Clawfoot tubs come in multiple styles including double slipper tubs, classic roll rim tubs, double ended tubs and slipper tubs.
Both ends of a double ended tub are rounded while a classic roll rim tub has one fairly flat end and one rounded end.
Clawfoot slipper tubs have a raised and sloped end that offers a comfortable lounging position.
Double slipper tubs feature two raised and sloped ends.
The ideal style should simply depend on your personal preferences.
The construction materials
Cast iron tubs often feature a porcelain surface that makes them more scratch resistant and harder than other materials. Because they are heavier than acrylic tubs, cast iron tub have a more substantial feel and sound. They are also more historically authentic since cast iron was originally used to make clawfoot tubs. The only downside is that any scratch or blemish to the porcelain surface is permanent.
Acrylic is another common material used to make clawfoot tubs. Compared to cast iron, acrylic clawfoot tubs are cheaper, easier to clean and lighter. They warm up water faster but the lower thermal mass of acrylic means water doesn’t stay warm for long. Acrylic is easy to repair by sanding and polishing in case of a blemish or scratch.
While cast iron and acrylic are the most common clawfoot tub materials, you also have other options including stone, wood etc.
Leg design style
It is important that you decide on the type of legs you want for your clawfoot tub.
There are many styles to choose from based on materials such as gold, bronze, chrome, antique bronze, brushed nickel, brass and more.
Some modern clawfoot tubs completely forego the traditional legs in favor of a flat bottom.
Like any other tub or sink, a clawfoot tub that makes installation of plumbing easy is always a priority.
Depending on your personal style preferences, you can opt for a faucet that’s mounted to the wall or attached to the tub.
Antique brass plumbing fixtures are a good choice if you are going for a vintage theme.
Whatever faucet you choose, ensure that it matches the existing décor.
It is important to remember that clawfoot tubs are as heavy as they look, and even heavier if made from cast iron.
Their freestanding style may prove a little too heavy for bathroom floors. Proper framing before purchasing a clawfoot tub is a must.
TIP: Talk to a building contractor to find out if your bathroom has ample floor support to hold a clawfoot tub.
Clawfoot tubs hold more water than standard bathtubs. As such, should reconsider the heater capacity if you love soaking in a tub filled with hot water. Consider upgrading to a larger heater when buying a new clawfoot tub.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How big is a clawfoot bathtub?
The traditional size of a clawfoot tub was 5 feet long, and many modern manufacturers adhere to this standard. Going larger than 5 feet often means increased price. Non-standard clawfoot tub sizes ranging from 4 feet to 6 feet are also available.
2. What kind of clawfoot tub should I refinish before installation?
Antique clawfoot tubs should be refinished prior to installation. This means sanding down the interior and adding a fresh coat of porcelain finish. The process costs an additional $500-$1000.
3. Is it necessary to change bathroom plumbing when installing a clawfoot tub?
Not really. It all comes down to the supply of water and placement of drain. Keeping these two factors in mind is crucial when finding a clawfoot tub that fits your bathroom space.
4. How much does it cost to install a clawfoot tub?
While beautiful, clawfoot tubs aren’t without a hefty price tag. According to Home Advisor, the average cost of a 6-foot long clawfoot bathtub is $500 – $2000. This doesn’t take into account the cost of installation.
5. What kind of paint should I use to refinish a cast iron clawfoot tub?
Acrylic urethane enamel can be used for cast iron or fiberglass tubs. It may come pre-mixed or you may have to mix it yourself. Two-part epoxy paint can also be used for fiberglass tubs.
Now that you’ve got everything you need to know about the clawfoot tubs, making a decision on the perfect model to purchase for your home should be easier.
When making a selection, keep in the available space in your bathroom, material, floor support, quality of legs and style. It’s also a good idea to purchase your tub from reputable clawfoot tub manufacturer.
Our list of the 10 top-of-the-line clawfoot tubs on the market today will save you time and hassle by pointing you directly to the best clawfoot tub for your home.
In case of further inquiries or recommendations, use the comment section to reach out to us.