If you think the chilled water or ice cubes coming from your fridge are safe for drinking, think again!
Just like the water running through your faucet, the water in your fridge contains various contaminants—like heavy metals, microbial cysts, chemicals, etc.—which make the water unsafe for use by your family.
Fortunately, installing the best aftermarket refrigerator water filter can remove up to 99.9% of these harmful contaminants and makes the water and ice cubes safe for human consumption.
The purpose of coming up with this post is to teach you everything you need to know about the fridge water filters before buying one.
What’s more, we’ll share with you the 10 BEST filters we’ve carefully selected at the market for you.
Whether you want a new or replacement filter for your fridge, you’ll surely find a suitable model from this list.
Let’s get into more details below…
REFRIGERATOR WATER FILTER COMPARISON CHART
WARM NOTE…If you don’t have enough time to go through the individual reviews of the 10 top-rated filters in this list, check the comparison table below that shows you how these water refrigerators compare to each other; their key specifications, prices, and customer ratings.
(Hopefully, this table will give you a quick idea of the best refrigerator water filter to pick for your specific refrigerator model).
Why Do You Need One?
During our research for the best aftermarket fridge water filters, we came across many homeowners asking if there’s really a need to install this filter.
“But my municipal water is always clean.” “I don’t think the chilled water flowing out of my fridge is contaminated in any way!”
Such were the comments…
BUT…one thing most homeowners fail to understand is that fridge water is NOT safe for drinking. The tap water from your local water treatments usually come with contaminants such as chlorine, trace pharmaceuticals, which can seriously compromise the safety of your fridge water. Chlorine alone can affect the taste and odor of your water. Besides, heavy metals (like lead and mercury) are often found in drinking water transported using older pipes.
With a great refrigerator water filter, you can easily remove all these contaminants to ensure your family has 100% safe water for drinking.
In 2013, the National Sanitation Foundation did a study on the germiest items in the kitchen. Surprisingly, they found that your refrigerator water filter bears significant amounts of yeast and mold coatings. This further explains the need for a water filter for the refrigerator that will help filter such elements to ensure safe water flow.
Most of the fridge manufacturers even incorporate a water filter into their fridge to ensure that you’ve access to healthy water and ice cubes.
Since installing a refrigerator water filter assures you of healthy water flow for approx. 6 months or more, you’ll save a lot of cash you might have been spending on buying water bottles. You also won’t need to spend on other water filters.
Isn’t that a HUGE save for your finances?
IMPORTANT: if your fridge comes with a filter, knowing when to replace your refrigerator water filter is important to ensure continued efficient water filtration. The standard replacement period falls between 3 and 6 months.
The aftermarket water filters too have a lifespan after which we strongly encourage you to replace them with new ones to ensure conditions clean and healthy water supply.
In the next section, we’ll take a closer look at the 10 most used refrigerator water filters across the whole of the US and other parts of the globe…
Our Best Refrigerator Water Filter Reviews:
1. GE RPWFE Refrigerator Water Filter
- It works with any refrigerator that currently uses GE RPWF or RPWFE filters. It is used in selected GE french-door refrigerators. Compatible with select GE french-door refrigerators.
- GE most advanced filtration: Tested and verified to filter five trace pharmaceuticals. Operation Water Pressure (psi): 25 min. - 120 max.
- Premium filtration: Certified to reduce chlorine-resistant cysts, lead, select pharmaceuticals and 50 other contaminants. Reduces 99% of Perfluorooctanoic acid (PFOA) and Perfluorooctaine Sulfonate (PFOS)
- Easy filter replacement: No tools of water-turnoff required to replace cartridge inside refrigerator.
- Six-Month filter life: For best filtration results, filter cartridge should be replaced every six months or 300 gallons.
Opening our top-rated refrigerator water filter reviews is the GE RPWFE Refrigerator Water Filter. This particular water filter uses the GE’s most advanced filtration technology. It has been tested and verified to filter up to 5 trace pharmaceuticals in your water—including fluoxetine, trimethoprim, atenolol, progesterone, and ibuprofen.
In addition to the 5 trace elements, this fridge filter has also been certified to significantly reduce chlorine-resistant cysts, lead, mercury, and up to 15 other contaminants usually found in water.
The filter comes designed to work with all the refrigerators that use GE’s RPWF or RPWFE filters. Additionally, it can work with some GE French-door fridges. If you’re not sure whether it’s compatible with your fridge, you can always check by entering your fridge model number here.
Installing the filter is super-easy! No tools are required to put it in place. And once you’ve set it up, it’ll supply you with clean, healthy water for up to 6 months (or 300 gallons of clean water). After this period, we urge you to replace it with a new model to continue enjoying safer water for drinking.
2. Frigidaire ULTRAWF Refrigerator Water Filter
- Enjoy fresh tasting water right from the fridge and directly in your glass with the Pure Source Ultra water filter. Designed to remove harmful contaminants giving you peace of mind with every glass
- The Pure Source Ultra ULTRAWF is designed with a carbon-based filter to improve your water by removing the odor and taste of chlorine for smoother drinking, making it easy to keep the whole family hydrated
- Take a sip and relax as you let your filter get to work reducing impurities found in common tap water such as lead, nitrates, pesticides, and mercury for worry free water at home
- The ULTRAWF water filter is easy to install. Push to release the old filter. Push the new filter in until it clicks into place. Run water through the new filter for 3 minutes to prime it. Discard the water or use it to water plants.
- Your refrigerator’s reminder light does not turn off automatically. Most reminder lights are reset by pressing and holding the water filter button on the dispenser control for 3 seconds. When the display changes from red to green, the status has been reset
The Frigidaire ULTRAWF Refrigerator Water Filter comes second in our top-rated filters reviews. This is a push-push filter that comes designed for use with all the French-door and side by side style refrigerators.
When you install it in your fridge, you can rest assured that this filter will remove all the unpleasant odors and taste from your water and ice cubes and up to 99% of different microbial agents that can interfere with your health. In other words, this filter will provide you with crystal clean water for drinking.
Keep in mind that this filter has also undergone rigorous tests to confirm the manufacturer claims of its great filtration capabilities. It comes with NSF certifications which states that it meets all the NSF/ANSI Standards 42 and 53 for water filters.
Like our first filter above, this model also has a filter life of up to 6 months which is equivalent to 200 gallons of water. The push to lock action installation process makes the replacement easy and quick for all homeowners.
3. Samsung Genuine DA29-00020B Refrigerator Water Filter
- Samsung Genuine Water Filters are guaranteed to reduce contaminants, for fresh-tasting water.
- Product comes in two package types. See product images for both versions of packaging.
- 3-speed electronic controls; low speed 52 dBA, Capacity: 300 gallons
- All Samsung water filters are tested and certified.
- Remove over 99% of numerous potentially harmful contaminants, using a high grade carbon block.
If you’re looking for the perfect replacement filter for your Samsung fridge, then the Samsung DA29-00020B is your perfect choice. A genuine product of Samsung, this filter will easily fit and work with a wide array of Samsung refrigerators.
This filter is loved by many homeowners due to its exceptional water filtration efficiency. It removes all the contaminants present in the water to ensure you and your family have access to fresh-tasting, clean water. THE NSF tested and certified filter employs High-grade carbon block which enables it to remove up to 99% potentially harmful contaminants present in the water.
Replacing this filter is the easiest part. You simply need to open the filter compartment in your fridge, remove the expired one, and then set up the new one (by a simple twist in action). It's that easy; no expertise or experience needed!
Similar to most of the high-end refrigerator water filters you’ll find on the market, this Samsung filter also works for 6 months (or 300 gallons) before you can replace it with a new one.
4. GE MWF Refrigerator Water Filter
- REPLACES GE MWF
- SUPERIOR WATER FILTRATION
- SAME GREAT QUALITY AT A FRACTION OF THE PRICE
- CHANGE YOUR FILTER EVERY 6 MONTHS
- 100% LIFETIME MONEYBACK GUARANTEE FROM THE MANUFACTURER
Are you on a tight budget? If yes, the GE MWF Filter is one of the most affordable fridge water filters you can buy today without straining your finances. But don’t this filter by its price…it’ll provide you with the same GREAT quality as in the other filters on this list (but at a fraction of the price).
One of the top reasons why this water filter is a favorite for many homes is its Superior water filtration technology. It boats of advanced, NSF certified filters that effectively grab out chlorine, pharmaceutical elements (like ibuprofen), lead, chemicals, and odors present in your water—ensuring you enjoy yummier tasting water minus harmful contaminants.
The filter lasts for up to 6 months. Like our previous models, it’s incredibly easy to replace. No tools are required for successful installation.
Even with such an incredibly low cost, the manufacturer goes ahead and offers you a 100% money back guarantee. This is to mean that if you’re not satisfied with this filter or if it doesn’t fit your fridge, you can send it back for a full refund of your money.
5. EveryDrop by Whirlpool Refrigerator Water Filter
- Make sure this fits by entering your refrigerator model number
- EveryDrop Filter 1 is the only filter approved by: Whirlpool, Maytag, Amana, KitchenAid and JennAir brands.
- Certified to reduce 99% of lead, offering superior contaminant reduction for you and your family
- Reduces 28 contaminants including including lead, pesticides, pharmaceuticals, and waterborne parasites (NSF 401, 53 and 42 certified)
- Offers clean, fresh tasting water. Replaces 1500 water bottles
EveryDrop by Whirlpool Refrigerator Water Filter also won a spot on our list. Judging by the loads of positive everydrop water filter reviews we saw from previous users, we can assure you that this particular filter will also address your fridge water filtration needs.
The filter comes ready to filter most of the contaminants present in your water, assuring you and your family of clean, safe drinking water. It utilizes Triple Filtration Technology and is NSF certified to remove up to 24 water contaminants—including waterborne parasites, pharmaceuticals, lead, pesticides, to name but a few.
As with all the other filters we’ve discussed so far, this model has a lifespan of 6 months of clean water supply.
Probably the best part about this filter is its versatility. You can use it with refrigerators from a wide variety of brands, like Whirlpool, KitchenAid, Amana, Jenn Air, and Maytag. What’s more, t works with fridges with side by side, bottom freezer, and top freezer designs which accept Filter 1.
6. Golden IcePure Premium Refrigerator Replacement Water Filter
- ❄️【WHY ICEPURE】The most cost-effective filters. This filter is not the most inexpensive, but it is indeed the best price among the best quality filters. The refrigerator filter is uncomplicated. Avoid paying an unreasonable price for it. Save more for other necessities.
- ❄️【Why ICEPURE】 Exceptionally Risk-Free shopping experience and 6-Month Return Policy Guaranteed! Product Life Time Warranty Within Each Filter's 6-Month Service Life. There is no 100% perfect product, but there can be a solution with 100% customer satisfaction. Our team in Los Angeles, CA is fully committed to providing Customer Support & Technical support with 7x24 service.
- ❄️ 【Fits Refrigerator Models】Whirlpool,Kitchenaid,Kenmore,Maytag,JennAir,EveryDrop 8212652,469085,8212652,4392857R,4392922,4396508P,4396508T,4396509,4396509P,4396510P,4396510T,4396562,4396563,4396918,46-9010,46 9010,46-9902,46 9902,9085,46-9908,46 9908,4396547,4396163,4396548,4396164,2255709,2203980,2305767,2305768,2255518,2186444,2203980,WF-NL240V,WF-NLC240V,WF-NLC250,WF-NL300,WF-l500,NLC240V,NL240,NL240V,NL300,L400, L400V,LC400,LC400V,WFL400,FL400V,WF-L400V,WFL500,WF-L500,WFLC400,WFLC400V
- ❄️【COMPATIBLE MODELS】ED2FHEXNS00, ED2GHGXMQ00, ED2PHEXNQ00, ED2SHAXMB10, ED2SHAXMQ10, ED5FHEXLQ01, ED5FHEXNB00, ED5FHEXNQ00, ED5FHEXNS00, ED5FHGXKQ00, ED5FHGXKQ02, ED5FTGXKQ01, ED5GHEXNB01, ,ED25RFXFW01, ED25QFXHW00, ED25RFXFW00, ED2FHEXNS00, ED2GHGXMQ00, ED2PHEXNQ00, ED2SHAXMB10, ED2SHAXMQ10,LC400V, NL240V, SGF-W80,8212491,NL300, 4396509,WF-NLC240V, AQF-4396508, WD-4396508, RWF1020, PL-600, W10186668, MB-4396508-P, ICEPURE RWF0500A, FL-RF02,AQF-4396508,ICEPURE is an independent brand.
The Golden IcePure Premium Refrigerator Water Filter is also an excellent choice for all folks on a budget since it also comes with an incredibly affordable cost.
Despite the low cost, this fridge will also ensure you enjoy clean and safe water at home. It comes tested and certified by both NSF and WQA to remove chlorine, unpleasant odors and taste in water. It employs high-grade carbon block which enables it to remove up to 99% chlorine and other potentially harmful elements in water.
Putting it into place (or replacing it) is easy. No tools are needed for complete installation. And once set up, it gives you a high flow, without any signs of leaks. The filter has a lifespan of up to 6 months (or 300 gallons of water) after which you’ll replace it with a new one for maximum contaminants reduction.
Keep in mind that this water filter works with nearly all Whirlpool fridges as well as select KitchenAid and Water Sentinel models. It is backed by a money back guarantee, to give you a worry-free shopping experience.
7. LG LT700p refrigerator water filter
At position 7, we have another genuine, high-quality aftermarket refrigerator water filter from LG. Like the other LG, you can expect this filter to work with most of the LG fridges.
What made this filter appear on this list is its great capabilities when it comes to filtering out dangerous substances and elements from your fridge water. This is made possible by its high-performance, high-quality water filtration system which effectively gets rid of the undesired chorine taste and odor as well as lead, asbestos, mercury, and even benzene.
It has also undergone rigorous NSF tests and certification to confirm its filtering capabilities.
Just like all the other filters featured on this list, this model also allows you to enjoy a total of 6 months or 200 gallons (whichever comes first) of cleaner, fresher, and yummier tasting chilled water and ice.
Above all, the filter is moderately priced compared to other models it shares similar features and specifications with.
8. General Electric MWF Refrigerator Water Filter
- GE guaranteed fit: Compatible with select GE side-by-side and bottom-freezer refrigerators
- Premium filtration: Certified to reduce chlorine-resistant cysts, lead, select pharmaceuticals and 15 other contaminants
- Twist and lock design: Simple design provides easy, tool-free, no-mess filter replacement.Max. Filtered Water Flow (gpm):0.5
- Six-month filter life: For best filtration results, filter cartridge should be replaced every six months or 300 gallons
- GE's most advanced filtration Tested and verified to filter five trace pharmaceuticals, including ibuprofen, progesterone and others
GE appears on our list of the best fridge water filters once more. This MWF Refrigerator Water filter is part of the company’s Smart Water filtration series. It’s simply an improved version of the GWF model that provides you and your loved ones with healthier, healthier, and greater-tasting water.
Like the other GE products, this filter has also been through examined and certified by NSF International to ensure it effectively filters our dangerous elements from your drinking water. You can expect it to effectively filter out mercury, lead, p-dichlorobenzene, toxaphene, carbofuran, benzene, alachlor, cryptosporidium, and giardia—contributing to a healthy lifestyle at your home.
Using the GE’s most advanced filtration system, this filter is also able to remove five trace pharmaceuticals from water, making it even safer for your consumption.
For the best filtration results, the manufacturer recommends you to replace this filter when it hits 6 months or when it filters a total of 300 gallons.
The filter is compatible with select GE bottom-freezer and size by side refrigerators. It has a twist and lock design which makes the installation process easy, quick, and tool-free.
9. Kenmore 9083 Refrigerator Water Filter
Kenmore 9083 Refrigerator Water Filter has undergone a string of tests to prove its ability to remove contaminants from water. And yes, it has proven to be a reliable filter for your fridge water. It has won the NSF 42, 53 and 401 certifications.
With Kenmore 9083 installed in your fridge, no harmful contaminants will find its way into your drinking water, assuring you and your family of the ultimate safety. The filter will effectively reduce lead, mercury chlorine taste and odor VOCs (volatile organic compounds), some pesticides, and even pharmaceuticals.
You should replace this filter after 6 months to ensure continued removal of all these dangerous elements.
Regarding compatibility, this filter works with select Kenmore side-by-side refrigerators. It also works with KitchenAid, Maytag, and Whirlpool fridge models. To install/replace the filter, you just need to follow the instructions included in the box.
10. Premium Refrigerator Water Filter
- CERTIFIED AND TESTED by the NSF to NSF/ANSI 42 standards.
- THIS REFRESH FILTER IS COMPATIBLE WITH: Frigidaire WF1CB, WFCB, RF100, RG100, NGRG2000, RF-100, RG-100, NGRG-2000, Kenmore 46-9910, 469910, 9910
- FINALLY CLEAN AND GREAT TASTING WATER - High flow rate filter delivers clean, clear water. Removes Chlorine, taste and odor. Does not remove beneficial minerals
- 100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE FROM THE MANUFACTURER - If you're unsatisfied with your filter during the first 60 days, let us know and we'll refund or replace your purchase!
- PLEASE CONTACT US if you have any questions about whether this Refresh model is compatible with your filter! Customer satisfaction is our top priority, and we want to be sure you are receiving the correct filter!
Premium Refrigerator Water Filter comes last in our top-rated refrigerator water filter review list. The water filter comes in a pack of 3 at incredibly low cost, meaning it will give you the REAL bang for your buck.
As we’ve seen with all the other water filters in this list, this model will also ensure you and your loved ones have a supply of clean and great-tasting water. It has undergone rigorous tests and certification by the Water Quality Association and obeys all the NSF/ANSI 42 standards.
It also removes the unpleasant chlorine odor and taste from your water to make it safer for your family ones.
Note that this filter is a perfect replacement for these fridge models… Kenmore models: 46-9910, 469910, and 9910 and Frigidaire models: WF1CB, WFCB, RF100, RG100, NGRG2000, RF-100, RG-100, NGRG-2000.
With 100% Lifetime Money back guarantee, this is a truly risk-free product that you can send back to the manufacturer if not satisfied with it for a full refund of your money.
Things To Look For Before Buying
When looking for the best fridge water filter, it’s easy to get confused and make wrong choices due to the many water filter options populating the market right now.
However, you can easily find the perfect filter for your fridge if you focus on the MOST crucial features and aspects of every refrigerator water filter as listed below:
Water filtering capabilities
From the 10 filters we’ve just shared with you above, it’s easy to see that different models come with different water filtration capabilities.
It’s, therefore, important that you first understand the kind of pollutants you want to eliminate from the water flowing through your tap. This will make it a whole lot easier to pick the ideal filter that will meet your needs.
For instance, most of the waters contain chlorine which adds to the water's unpleasant taste and odor. With this in mind, make sure you buy a water filter that’s able to reduce chlorine taste and smell in your water.
While still on it, you should also consider looking at the size of particles the given filter can remove to ensure it gives you excellent filtration results.
Why is the certification important?
Well, the certification means that a product or appliance has undergone rigorous quality, performance, and safety tests.
That said, the most important certification to look for when it comes to the refrigerator water filters is the NSF International (National Sanitation Foundation). This is a non-profit, non-governmental organization that works closely with the ANSI (American National Standards Institute) to set the standards for water filters.
A fridge water filters NSF 42 standard certification means it’s capable of removing aesthetic impurities (undesired smell and taste) in your water such as chlorine. Models with 42 standard certifications only are usually cheaper and can only remove the bad taste and smell in the water.
The NSF/ANSI standard 53 certification, on the other hand, confirms a filter’s ability to remove other harmful contaminants in water.
Overall, a high-end, top-quality water filter should come with both 42 and 53 NFS/ANSI standard certifications.
Another crucial factor to keep in mind when looking for an aftermarket refrigerator filter is compatibility with your fridge.
If you’re not careful, you can buy a filter that doesn’t fit your fridge. And if it does, it results in leakage and other compatibility issues.
The filter manufacturers have been receiving complaints and product returns from frustrated customers due to compatibility issues. To solve this issue, they have come up with a way to help you check whether your fridge model number will work with the filter you intend to buy. We strongly urge you to double-check your fridge compatibility to avoid the frustrations and the hassle of returning a product to the manufacturer.
Another TIP you can use to save you the frustrations is buying filters made by the brand as your refrigerator. Most of these brands tend to designed aftermarket accessories that work with most (if not all) their fridges.
Just do everything possible to ensure you buy a filter that’s 100% compatible with your fridge.
You should also look at how long the filter is designed to last.
A standard fridge water filter should last for approximately 6 months (which is equivalent to 200-300 gallons of water, depending on the filter flow rate).
The longer the lifespan, the longer you’ll enjoy clean and safe drinking water.
NOTE: it’s always important to know when your filter expires. This will help you replace it with a new one on time to ensure maximum reduction of impurities in water.
Expired filters will NEVER do a good job!
Ease of use/installation
You’d want to get a water filter that you can install or replace on your own, without experiencing any troubles or having to hire someone to do it for you (or without consulting your user manual).
That’s why it’s also important to look for an easy to use model. Some of the easiest to install filters come with twist and lock designs, where you just open your fridge filter compartment, twist them into position.
Others come with a push and lock installation method which is also easy to do for everyone.
An easy to install filter should take less than 5 minutes and should not require any extra tools.
Finally, come up with a budget of the amount of money you’re willing to spend on that brand new refrigerator water filter.
Generally, the cost of a fridge water filter can run from as small as $15 to as high as $100 or more. The price fluctuations depend on a number of factors such as brand, filter quality and performance, flow rate, filtering technology used, and lifespan.
Obviously, the lower end models will remove common contaminants such as chlorine, lead, microorganisms, and volatile organic compounds (VOCs), while the higher-end models will go beyond this and remove even fluoride and arsenic.
By comparing the list of features and the cost of the filter you plan to buy, you can easily tell if it’ll meet your specific needs or if it’s worth your money.
Do Fridge Water Filters Really Work?
This is one of the frequently asked questions about the refrigerator water filters.
The best answer to this question is…
YES, fridge water filters do work, ONLY if you invest in an effective filter and not the junks lying on the market.
How do they work?
Well, most of these filters usually utilize activated carbon as the filtration medium. This type of filter is known to work through a process known as adsorption—where the contaminants present in your water stick to the media. Note that activated carbon is more like a honeycomb with crannies and nooks, enabling it to provide a larger adsorption surface area.
The activated carbon is capable of filtering out volatile organic compounds, chlorine, bad taste and odor, radon, benzene, and many other chemicals usually found in water.
However, there are also highly specialized activated carbon filters which can remove lead and arsenic as well. Needless to mention, such filters will require you to dig dipper into your pockets.
Overall, a great, high-performance refrigerator will filter out the contaminants present in your water to ensure you and your family enjoy clear, clean, safe, and great-tasting drinking water.
How Long Does a Water Filter in A Refrigerator Last?
As you might have noted in our reviews of the 10 top-rated products, fridge water filters have a limited lifespan.
Most of them will serve you for around 6 months (or filter approximately 300 gallons), after which you’ll need to replace them to continue enjoying clean and healthy drinking water.
It’s easy to see why these filters have a limited lifespan…as we’ve just said above, they make use of activated carbon which acts as a huge magnetic trap that attracts the pollutants found in water (via the adsorption process).
With time, the AC filter medium will clog up with contaminants and pollutants. For this reason, you’ll need to replace it after the specified period of time to ensure continued effectiveness at filtering out your drinking water.
Most of the fridge models usually display a RED light to alter you when it’s time to replace your filter with a new one. This will make it easy for you to know when the time is ripe.
If your refrigerator doesn’t have this feature, it’s upon you to keep track of your filter to ensure you replace it on time.
The best refrigerator water filter is a crucial investment for all homeowners. It helps remove all the trace chemical levels, micro-organisms, chlorine, heavy metals, etc., which tend to make the chilly fridge water and ice cubes for your family health.
In this guide, we’ve discussed with you everything you need to know about these water filters before buying them. Make sure you follow our buying tips and tricks to ensure you easily end up with a genuine, functional filter designed with your fridge in mind.
Our list of the 10 top-rated fridge water filters will expose you to the kind of filters enjoying massive usage across all the homes in the US.
If you order one of these top-rated filters, you can rest assured that they’ll do their job well and ensure your family has access to clean water throughout.