Of late, the submersible pumps have become a must-have item for homes due to their versatile nature which enables them to carry out a wide range of tasks.
The reason behind this rising popularity is that these pumps are exceptionally reliable. They can easily and efficiently pump water up from great depths without consuming too much power or getting overstrained.
If you’re not sure which is the best submersible pump for your home, this post is for you. We’ll look at the 10 most popular submersible pumps on the market right now plus some helpful tips on how to choose the right one for you.
Why Use A Submersible Pump?
The submersible pump is a type of pump designed to be fully submerged in water.
The pump can be used for pumping water from a well/borehole, removing water from flooded basements, clearing water from ponds or aquariums. Industries too are using these pumps to pump oil from the deposit grounds to the refinery areas.
The MAIN reasons why you should use the submersible pump are listed below:
Now let’s take a closer look at the 10 most popular submersible pumps present on the market today…
Our Best Submersible Pump Picks:
1. Superior Pump 91250 1/4 HP Thermoplastic Submersible Utility Pump
- 1/4 HP Utility pump moves up to 1,800 gallons per hour; pump will lift water up to 25' of vertical height
- Tough thermoplastic construction; 10' cord length
- 1-1/4 inch NPT discharge for high capacity pumping; includes 3/4 inch garden hose adapter
- Removable suction screen and handles up to 1/8 inch solids
- Superior Pumps are Built to Last, engineered with quality components and are 100% factory tested
Our top submersible pump reviews begin with the Superior Pump 91250. This pump is made to deliver exceptional power in a small, durable frame. It’s ideal for draining standing water from any environment, meaning you can use it for flooded basements, farm use, fountains, well water pumping, etc.
This pump is all about efficient pumping. It comes equipped with a powerful, ¼ Horsepower motor which delivers the needed power for excellent performance. Because this motor is thermally protected, you can rest assured that it’ll not stop or lower its performance due to overheating issues.
Made to easily fit in an opening as big as 6-in, this pump is able to pump as much as 30 gallons of water per minute up to a vertical height of 25 feet. Remember it comes with as large as 1 ¼ discharge which translates to increased flow rate and efficient pumping.
The durable thermoplastic pump construction enables you to use it again and again without any signs of corrosion or wear. Other notable features about this pump include a clog-resistant suction and a ¾-inch garden hose adapter. If you like, you can buy a float switch that’ll allow you to use this model as a sump pump.
2. VicTsing 80 GPH (300L/H, 4W) Submersible Water Pump
If you’re looking for a quality small pump for a small water garden, fountain, aquarium, hydroponic or shallow well, you can’t go wrong with the VicTsing 80 GPH Submersible Water Pump. This pump comes with a fair price tag and impressive list of features, assuring you of value for your money.
It has a maximum flow rate of up to 80 gallons per hour (GPH), which makes it suitable for your small water garden or shallow well. The maximum height this pump can lift water is 2.6 feet. All its efficient operation and performance are made possible by the top-quality motor it comes equipped with.
An adjustable knob to control the water flow rate is also included in this water pump to allow you to get just the right amount of water you want. With two different size nozzle options, 0.33in and 0.51in, you can also easily change the pump flow rate… where the smaller nozzle will give you a flow rate less than 80GPH.
Cleaning this pump is super-easy and quick as you don’t need any tools to put its parts apart. Its impeller shaft is made of stainless steel for increased lifespan. And the threaded fittings increase its stability. With an extra-long power cord that measures 5.9ft, you’ll have an easy time installing this pump.
3. SumpMarine SM10102 1/2HP Clean/ Dirty Water Submersible Pump
- EASY TO USE: Simply Prime the pump with food-grade vegetable oil, place the submersible pump in the water, and plug it in!
- POWER: Powered by a Durable 1/2 Horse Power Oil-cooled Motor this utility pump can move up to 2,000 gallons per hour!
- WATER SAFE: This submergible utility transfer pump can be submerged up to 16.5' and can pump the water up to 23' high
- VERSATILE: The included hose adapter allows you to connect 1.25” & 1.5” hoses to adjust the flow rate.
- NO WORRIES: The automatic shut-off float switch starts pumping when it floats above the pump and shuts off when it drops below 8". You can also override the auto shut-off by connecting it to the pump handle.
SumpMarine SM10102 is another fairly priced but powerful pump, suitable for the average homes who want to ensure excess water doesn’t damage their underground houses. It boasts of a durable, powerful ½ Horsepower motor that’s oil-cooled for optimal and reliable performance.
The pump provides you with a generous water flow rate of up to 2000 gallons for every hour. It has a maximum submersion depth of up to 16.5ft and can pump water up to an excellent height of 23ft.
Like the previous model, this pump also comes with an extra-long cord to ensure a hassle-free installation. Keep in mind that this cord is specially sealed to make it 100% waterproof and prevent electrical short circuits while submerged in the water.
As a portable submersible pump, it doesn’t have to be permanently installed in your home. And oh! Don’t forget it has an ultra-quiet attraction so it won’t be a source of attention in your home.
4. WAYNE WWB WaterBUG Submersible Pump
- The pump should be unplugged once the water is no longer being moved, or pump will run dry.
- Assembled in the US with foreign and domestic parts
- Multi-flo technology allows easy selection of the appropriate discharge for the application
- Top discharge is perfect for tight spaces where water removal is needed; window wells, buckets, etc.
- Side discharge is ideal for easy water removal from flat open surfaces: flat roofs, flooded basements, standing water in yard, shower stalls, etc
Water bugging you? Or you trying to eliminate standing water in your yard and reduce the risk of attracting the mosquitoes? If yes, using the WAYNE WWB WaterBUG Submersible Pump will help you easily stop the bugs. A product of WAYNE, a respected brand, this pump is assembled in the US using both domestic and imported parts.
One of its unique features revolves around a multi-flow technology, which gives you the option of selecting the ideal discharge for you. The top discharge is suitable for tight spaces where needs to be removed, e.g. window wells, buckets, etc. and the bottom discharge is good for hassle-free water removal from flat open surfaces like flooded basements, flat roofs, shower stalls, etc.
The pump also provides you with an excellent maximum flow rate of up to 1257 gallons per hour; or 900 GPH at 10 ft. it has a maximum head of 30ft.
The submersible has a way longer power cord of up to 10ft., which allows for easy installation, even in the hard to reach areas. The durable, corrosion-resistant thermoplastic construction ensures maximum longevity. The easy-hang tab allows for convenient pump storage when not in use.
5. KEDSUM 880GPH Submersible Pump
- ★Powerful Speed Flow: Max Flow Rate: 880 GPH per hour(3500L/H), Max Lift Height: up to 10 Feet.(Length of power cord:5.9ft)
- ★Ultra Quiet: This water pump is designed for reliability and ultra-quiet operation to provide years of service, energy-saving and low power consumption.(Power: 100 W,Voltage: 110V)
- ★Perfect size: This profile size water pump is great to hide or disguise (Dimensions: 5.1"(H)*5.1"(L)*3.9"(W)).With no seals or messy oils ,the suction cups mounting feet for either vertical or horizontal mounting.
- ★3 Outlet Adapters: Equipped with 3 Outlet Adapters ,one is 0.51inch，one is 0.63inch ,and the other is 0.75inch, providing a different water flow as you desired.This submersible pump is ideal for fresh-water, salt-water, can be applied in aquarium, fountains, spout, hydroponic and pond.
- ★Detachable and Cleanable: The water pump is easy to detach to clean. [NOTE: This water pump is metric threads. Pump metric threaded fit for vinyl tubing, need a 13mm metric to 0.5" NPT Adapter to fit for standard 1/2" threaded PVC fitting.]
KEDSUM 880GPH Submersible Pump is another small profile model suitable for small ponds, water gardens, Nano-to-medium sized aquariums, desktop water fountains, spout and hydroponic systems.
The pump features a powerful speed flow of up to 880 gallons per hour, with a maximum lift height of 13 feet. It’s armed with a powerful, continuous duty motor which plugs into the standard 110V electrical outlet to deliver a reliable and ultra-quiet performance. The durable motor will last for years to come and doesn’t consume a lot of energy.
Since it comes with suction cups mounting feet, you can choose to mount this pump horizontally or vertically.
And yes, this pump provides you with up to 3 outlet adapters of different sizes (0.51inch, 0.63inch, and 0.75inch)—enabling you to customize the pump water flow according to your preferences
The pump is quite easy to detach and clean. Its small profile enables you to easily hide or disguise. The fairly long 4.9ft power cable ensures frustration-free installation in all locations.
6. Yescom 1HP 3432GPH 750W Submersible Dirty Clean Water Pump
- UL CERTIFICATION: 1 HP 750W submersible dirty clean water pump with float switch and 25ft power cord, a safe standard for Swimming Pool Pumps, Fountain Pump, Filters etc. Buy our Sump Pump with Confidence to help move dirty water away, for household or utility use
- SAFE USE: Built-in automatic power shut off mechanism by auto float switch for preventing the coil from getting burned when pump fails to pump water
- DURABLE & STURDY: Heavy duty engineered Resin Construction for long serving time under water, can prolong this submersible pumps life expectancy
- 1 HP WATER PUMP: Powered by a durable oil-cooled electric motor,runs, H.Max: 26 1/4ft, draining 3434 gallon per hour quickly
- WIDE APPLICATION: Ideal for handling such tasks as draining water from a basement or a shallow flooded area, draining or refilling your swimming pool, pond or simply a bath tub, great for household or utility use, such as swimming pools, cellars, garden pond or flooded road
If you’re looking for the best submersible well pump, Yescom 1HP 3432GPH 750W Submersible pump is a good choice. This cost-effective pump is designed to handle both dirty flowing water and clean well water. It’s a good choice for residential as well as light industrial applications.
What makes this pump appear on our list is its powerful, heavy-duty 1 Horsepower motor which delivers a remarkable water pumping performance. Its oil cooled to ensure it actively pumps water without being hindered by the overheating issue. It’s capable of running under water at about 23 ft.
The UL certified submersible pump features an automatic shutoff float which ensures maximum safety. With a maximum flow rate of 3432 gallons per hour and a maximum head of 26 ¼ ft., you can trust this pump to empty your flooded basement or bring water from a deep well pretty fast and easily.
7. KEDSUM 550GPH Submersible Pump
- 【Specifications】Max Flow Rate: 550 GPH(2500L/H), Max Lift height: up to 5 Feet. The 6.5ft long power cord offers convenient installation.
- 【Ultra Quiet】This Submersible water pump is designed for reliability and ultra-quiet operation to provide years of service，energy-saving and low power consumption.(Power: 40 W,Voltage: 110V)
- 【Perfect size】This profile size aquarium pump is great to hide or disguise (Dimensions:3.75"(H)*4.7"(L)*2.75"(W)). Come with 4 strong suction cups at the bottom of the pump, easy to mount it onto the glass surface either vertically or horizontally.
- 【3 Outlet Adapters】Equipped with 3 Outlet Adapters ,one is 0.51inch, one is 0.75inch,and the other one is 0.87inch, providing different water flow effects. This submersible pump is ideal for fresh-water, salt-water, can be applied in aquarium, fountains, spout, hydroponic and pond.
- 【Detachable and Cleanable】No need any tools to detach it, easy to seperate, easy to clean. Any questions of your 550GPH aquarium water pump, please come back to us and we will be responsible for the pumps we produce.
If you’re still looking for a suitable for a submersible pump for small ponds, water gardens, nano to medium sized aquariums, desktop water fountains, spout and hydroponic systems, etc., this KEDSUM 550GPH Submersible Pump is also a great pick.
Unlike the other small profile KEDSUM that we’ve just discussed above, this pump features a bit lower (but still acceptable) maximum flow rate of 550 GPH. It’s able to pump water up to a maximum lift height of 5ft. this is made possible by its reliable, ultra-quiet motor which consumes relatively low amounts of energy during operation.
Like the other KEDSUM, this pump also offers you up to 3 different size adapter options to help you adjust how much water you want to flow. The 3 different sizes include 0.75-inch, 0.87-inch, and the 0.51-inch.
Since detaching this pump is easy and fast, cleaning it will not be a problem for you. With a power cord as long as 4.6ft, you’ll have no issue installing this pump in hard to reach areas. The small size of this pump makes it easy to hide or disguise.
8. Simple Deluxe LGPUMP1056G 1056 GPH Submersible Water Pump
- 1/3 HP Sump pump moves up to 3,000 gallons per hour; pump will lift water up to 20' of vertical height
- Tough thermoplastic construction; 10' cord length
- Durable non corrosive steel drive shaft and stainless steel impeller; metal switch arm for strength and durability
- 1-1/4 inch NPT discharge for high capacity pumping
- Superior Pumps are Built to Last, engineered with quality components and are 100% factory tested
Simple Deluxe LGPUMP1056G is a portable, budget-friendly submersible pump ideal for fountains, aquariums, spout and hydroponic systems.
The pump boasts of an incredible flowrate of 1056 Gallons Per Hour and a maximum lift height of 12ft, which isn’t easy to find for models in the same price range. It comes with 3 size threaded nozzles (namely 83in, 1.06in, and 1.34in). these allow you to choose a nozzle size that gives you the right amount of water.
Regarding the construction, this pump is built to last a lifetime. It boats of polished aluminum oxide ceramic impeller which is non-corrosive and 3x as solid as stainless steel. The epoxy resin motor housing prevents conductivity and corrosion of the motor metal parts.
With the pre-filter that comes fitted on the intake end, no debris and undesired elements will sneak into your pump. And this further enhances the longevity of the pump. Cleaning the pump is also easy and quick as you don’t need any tools to put it apart for impeller and filter cleaning.
9. Homasy 920GPH Submersible Water Pump
- Strong Power and High Flow. Maximum flow rate: 920GPH. 60W high quality motor offers higher water flow, but it will not produce much noise. Ideal for large-sized aquariums, ponds and water gardens etc
- Higher Lift. Max Lift Height: 9.8ft. 60W high efficiency motor for energy saving. Lift height is a max height the water goes up, after connecting the water pipe to the nozzle (Make sure the joint sealed securely and tightly)
- Ultra Quiet Design Come with 2 Nozzles (0.51in and 0.75in). High quality motor provides a quiet environment for you. Threaded fittings make it more stable. The impeller shaft is stainless steel for long life span and corrosion resistance
- 5.9ft Longer Power Cord, Simple to install. Coming with 4 strong suction-cups help keep it in place for reliable set-up, so you can stick it on the right side of the aquarium, either vertically or horizontally
- Welfare for Your Fish. Circulate and aerate the water, making it more attractive to your fish or turtles, offering them a near-natural living environment. Backed by professional after-sale service within 24hrs
Do you have a fish aquarium at home? Are you looking for an easy way of circulating and aerating water inside the tank for the welfare of your fish? If yes, this Homasy 920 GPH Submersible Water Pump has been designed to do just that.
Featuring an attractive price tag, this pump comes equipped with a high-quality motor that enables it to deliver an excellent performance without producing any noise. The motor enables the pump to pump as much as 920 gallons of water every hour—making it suitable for larger fish tanks, pond and water gardens. Remember that the maximum height that this pump can lift water is 9.8ft.
Like most of the previously discussed aquarium pumps, this model also offers you tow different nozzle sizes to choose from (0.51in and 0.75in). This makes it possible for you to regulate the flow rate of water from this pump.
Other things worth a mention include the extra-long 5.9ft power cable, 4 strong suction pump for reliable setup either horizontally or vertically, stainless steel impeller shaft for a longer lifespan, and threaded fittings to make the pump more stable.
10. XtremepowerUS 2000GPH Clean/Dirty Water Submersible Pump
- Perfect Submersible - For draining swimming pools, ponds, aquariums and emergency draining for basements, roof tops and any shallow flooded area
- Powerful Gallon Per Hour - 2115 Gallon Per Hour rating tackles any draining job at a fraction of the time
- Drains Within 1 Inch - Our pump drains water down to a 1" surface
- Overload Protection - Thermal overload protection ensures the pump operates within spec for longer durability
- Passes 1" Solids - This pump easily passes solids up to 1/2" in diameter, giving you the ability to drain cellars or garden ponds
Finally, in our list of top-rated submersible pump reviews, we have the XtremepowerUS 2000GPH Clean/Dirty Water Submersible Pump. Designed to handle both clean and dirty water, this pump is suitable for draining flooded water in your basement or pumping out water from a well or borehole.
Like most of the other submersible pumps that made it this list, this model is powered by a durable, oil-cooled motor with ½ Horsepower rating. The motor makes the pump so powerful that it’s able to pump several thousands of gallons of water (2000, to be exact) in every hour. It pumps all this water over a maximum lift height of 23ft.
Note that the pump has a discharge sized 1-1/4" and discharge fittings: 1-1/4"& 1-1/2" 25FT to enable you to easily regulate the amount of water that flows out of the pump. It also has an extra-long power cord for frustration-free setup and plugs into the standard 110/115V, 60Hz electrical outlet.
How Does It Work?
Now that you’ve finally gotten the best well pump you’ve been looking for, you might be wondering how it works to get rid of flooding water or bring up water deep below the ground.
Well, the following video will take you through a step by step process on how a typical submersible pump works:
Things To Look For Before Buying a Submersible Pump
The market is filled with all kinds of submersible pumps right. They vary in regard to size, motor power, discharge rate, construction quality, cost, and so on.
In this section, we’ll give you a list of the MAIN things to look for to ensure you end with the best submersible well pump for your unique needs and expectations.
The most important thing to look for in a submersible pump is its intended use. You should have a clear picture of the tasks you want to accomplish with the new pump and then proceed to choose a model that matches those needs.
The most popular types of submersible pumps include:
The intended use of any pump is clearly indicated on its description info. Some models are capable of handling more than one tasks, which makes them more versatile.
Another important consideration to make is how much water the pump can move per minute or hour. This is basically a measure of how powerful the pump is.
The discharge rate, also referred to as flow rate, will depend on what you intend to use your pump for. If you plan to use the pump to pump water out of your flooded basement, you’ll need a model with a maximum flow rate of 1-2000 GPH.
For less demanding tasks, like moving water out of a rain barrel, a 250-500 GPH pump will do.
Maximum Discharge Head
The maximum discharge head, usually described as maximum lift height, of a pump tells you how far the pump can lift water from one (lower) end to another (higher) end.
Again, your needs should help you decide the ideal maximum discharge head here.
If you plan to lift water up from a deep well, you’ll need a submersible pump with the longest possible discharge height. If you want to get rid of water in a flooded basement, the discharge height should also be significantly higher.
TIP: if you’re replacing an old pump, you can check its maximum lift height rating to help you get a suitable new submersible pump.
That’s it for our list of the best submersible pump models on the market today. As we said at the beginning of this post, the recent rise in popularity of these pumps is attributed to their overall efficiency when it comes to pumping water.
Submersible pumps operate quietly and don’t consume large amounts of energy, so they’ll keep your energy bills in check. The fact that they don’t require any priming makes them super-easy to use.
And because they’re highly versatile, you can use to carry out a wide range of tasks at your home.
Not to forget that these pumps are cost-effective, making them affordable for all homes.